Unique House of the Richest Man in Karakol from the Early 1900s Begins Restoration

Сергей Мацера Exclusive
VK X OK WhatsApp Telegram
In Karakol, work has begun on the restoration of a historic building that previously served as the Issyk-Kul Regional Statistics Office. This building is located at Orozov Street, 3. After the reconstruction is completed, it will be transferred to the Karakol Historical and Local History Museum, which will subsequently combine two neighboring buildings.

The head of the city culture department, Talai Ilipbaev, noted in a comment to the publication Turmush that the restoration is being funded by the republican budget. He reported that this year, 14 different projects are being implemented in Karakol, one of which is the museum reconstruction. Previously, the museum was located in just one building, but in 2025, it was given the building of the statistics office. Both buildings are considered objects of historical and cultural heritage. Specialists have already begun work, including the dismantling of later extensions, returning the buildings to their original appearance. "We strive to preserve architectural heritage," added Ilipbaev.

Gulnaz Orozova, the museum director, reported that the museum's collection contains 14,000 exhibits. "Animal taxidermies have been temporarily moved to the N.M. Przhevalsky Memorial Complex, while the other exhibits are packed and stored," she explained. The merging of the two buildings, according to her, will not only help preserve the historical appearance of Karakol but also create conditions for displaying the entire collection, which could not be exhibited before due to a lack of space. Additionally, plans are in place to create a pedestrian zone between the buildings, allowing visitors to better familiarize themselves with the city's history.

The vice-mayor of Karakol, Ermakan Duyshbaeva, emphasized that the development of the museum complex will contribute to attracting tourists. Last year, the museum was visited by 28,000 people. "We hope that after the work is completed, the number of tourists will increase. It is important to note that during the reconstruction, the plan to preserve the original condition of the buildings is being followed. During the work, the museum will be closed to visitors," she added.

As part of the project, the basement will also be restored, which will become a full-fledged exhibition hall, where unique artifacts are planned to be displayed, such as two safes and a chest for coins dated 1856.

Previously, Turmush reported on the history of these buildings. For example, the building at Orozov Street, 3 was built in 1904 as the home of merchant Akhmet-Garey Karimov. It was one of the most notable structures in the city, where later a bank and other institutions were located. The main building of the museum was erected in 1887 as the home of M.N. Ilyin and consisted of seven rooms.

As told by Karimov's great-great-granddaughter, Dinara Baizakova, her ancestor, Akhmet-Garey, immigrated from Russia, initially working as a timber hauler. Over time, he became wealthy and became a first-guild merchant, owning property worth 3,350 rubles in gold. Individuals like him, as mentioned in the "Semirechenskie Vedomosti" of 1907, had the right to participate in the elections of representatives to the State Duma.

Over time, he built a roller mill near Karakol, known as "Karimka," and two houses, owned trading rows, and was the first in the city to install a telephone. The last house, built in 1904, has survived to this day and served as the building of the State Bank during the Soviet era. Akhmet-Garey died in 1912, and all his property was inherited by his eldest son, Gani.

As previously reported by Turmush, the two buildings were constructed by merchant Karimov in 1887, although other sources indicate that their construction continued until 1904. One of the houses housed the Savings Bank, and until 1996, the building was home to various companies' offices.

At the end of the 19th century, the main occupations of the residents of Karakol were livestock breeding and beekeeping, while trade was conducted with goods brought from Tashkent and Andijan. The city became an important trading point, where fairs were held for the sale of Russian goods and the purchase of livestock. Over time, Karakol transformed into a center for trade and procurement, dominated by Tatar merchants.

According to the "Siberian Trade and Industrial Yearbook" for 1913, there were more than 60 industrial enterprises operating in Karakol, including tanneries, soap and candle factories, sawmills, and mills. The trading rows built by Tatar merchants became an important part of city life.

Before the 1917 revolution, the family of Akhmet-Garey Karimov was one of the wealthiest in Karakol, owning the trading rows at the site of the current "Makish" market. According to some reports, raw chicken eggs were used in the construction of their house to bind the bricks.
The house of merchant Karimov, built in 1904, is considered one of the most beautiful in the city. For a long time, it was known only among the descendants of the family until a commemorative plaque was placed on it.

The genealogy of the Karimov family begins with Karim, born in 1748. His descendant, Akhmet-Garey, arrived in Karakol from the Volga region to avoid service in the tsar's army. He married Nagima, and they had seven children. The family carefully preserved their history, including old photographs with inscriptions in Arabic.

Akhmet-Garey started as a timber hauler, gradually becoming wealthy and becoming a first-guild merchant. He built a mill and trading rows, and his houses were so sturdy that one of them became the building of the state bank.

After Akhmet's death in 1912, his property passed to his eldest son, Gani. After the 1917 revolution, the family transferred their property to the state and moved to Almaty.

The fates of Akhmet's children are diverse: Gani inherited his father's business, Sultan became an agronomist but faced arrest in 1938. Other children also found their paths in life, including work in various fields, from medicine to diplomacy.

Turmush also mentioned that Karakol was renamed Przhevalsk by the emperor's decree in 1889, which became an important historical event.

Karakol continued to develop: by the end of the 19th century, schools were opening, trade was flourishing, and in 1918, Soviet power was established.
VK X OK WhatsApp Telegram

Read also:

"Whoever Gets Lucky"

"Whoever Gets Lucky"

It was a long time ago, when rivers flowed clear and full, when magpies were not thieves, and when...

Akkyon and Ainek

Akkyon and Ainek

And there was a time like that. In the eastern part of the Chui Valley, at the foot of the...

Chyntek

Chyntek

Even in ancient times, the necks of tricksters were long, and male pheasants wore an astonishingly...

The Wise Boy

The Wise Boy

The Tale of the Wise Boy On one of those fine, sunny days, the khan, accompanied by his six...

Tübekeyka

Tübekeyka

The story took place when khans, kings, and viziers had already appeared on earth, in other words...

Polygamy in Islam

Polygamy in Islam

In the 1870s, a new movement emerged in Muslim countries, called “Muslim Reformation.”...